I want to become a teacher and social worker

A pair of hands holding paper cutouts of people

I am a student of Std 11 with Arts. I want to become a teacher and social worker. I am also interested in dance. I want to do all these in DU University but I am confused about how to go about it.
Arun / Notre Dame School, New Delhi

Teaching at any grade level usually requires a bachelor’s degree in the subject you wish to teach. To teach in secondary schools one should be a graduate and also have a B.Ed. (Bachelor of Education) qualification. Graduate teachers with a B.Ed. are known as Trained Graduate Teachers (TGTs).

A Bachelor’s degree in Social Work (BSW) is the minimum requirement for most entry-level positions in the field of social work. Besides BSW, undergraduate courses in psychology, sociology, and related fields satisfy hiring requirements in some agencies. A Master’s degree in Social Work (MSW) is generally necessary for positions in health and mental health setting, public sectors and administrative positions. MSW is of a two-year duration and requires some field work.

At present, focus on 10+2 and get a good percentage. Join a good college for graduation in the field of your interest. You can pursue your interest in dance by taking private classes.

Dr Vibha Gupta
Latest posts by Dr Vibha Gupta (see all)

Dr Vibha Gupta

Dr Vibha Gupta, a feature writer, is a Ph.D. in Mathematics from IIT Roorkee. Her book Careers: A Pathfinder and articles in various publications are an attempt to guide students in choosing a career according to their natural strengths, talents and skills.