Q I’m a student of Std IX. I want to take up music as my career. I want to be a Hollywood singer. I have been the topper of our local music school from 2012 onwards. I have also won several competitions. Which institutes can I attend after Std X, and the necessary criteria required for admission. I’m from a middle class family so are there any scholarships available?
Namrata Sarma (14) / Jorhat
A Hollywood is the destination for singers who hope to achieve success in any possible genre. There’s no completely certain path to become a world-famous singer, but here are some things you can do to increase your odds.
- Determine your type of voice. Most singers in Hollywood are well schooled on their vocal abilities. You need to know your vocal abilities before gathering music that will best display your own special sound.
- Study music. Take up an instrument, such as the keyboard or guitar, to make your singing performances even more entertaining.
- Record and market your music.
- Be determined and persistent. There’s a lot of competition out there. Most successful singers spend years working on their voices and playing low-paying gigs before they make it big. Don’t lose sight of your goal, and resolve to be patient.
- Sing in public whenever possible. Even if you don’t get spotted by a musician right away, you’re practising your stage presence and getting used to being in front of a crowd.
- Network. Make connections with other musicians. You never know who might want to collaborate with you in the future.
- Learn how to handle criticism. Accept rejection and move on.
Latest posts by Dr Vibha Gupta (see all)
- I want to become a fashion designer - 21st January 2020
- I want to take up a career in chemical engineering - 21st January 2020
- I want to be an IAS officer - 21st January 2020