Pantone, the international colour authority, comes up with a colour to suit each year taking the current social scenario and fashion trajectory into account. 2016 got the first-ever chance two colours as the Colours of the Year — Serenity, a tranquil pastel blue, and Rose Quartz, a warm rose tone. The decision to choose these colours was inspired by the increased blurring of gender lines and gender fluidity. The onslaught of these colours essentially seek to break the stereotype that blue is for boys and pink is for girls. How about this summer, we forget gender roles, and wear the colours we are not expected to?
Ten ways for girls to wear the Pantone colours for 2016
1. The next time you have a formal event, switch out your usual button-down shirt for a preppy blouse in Serenity shade paired with tailored black or beige trousers.
2. Be the image of bohemian glamour by pairing a plain Rose Quartz shade palazzo pants with a multihued loose top for your next trip down to the beach.
3. Forget the little black dress and little white dress and opt for a Rose Quartz little dress for an event that requires you to wear a dress. Pair this with pastel blue heels and stand out from the mass of blacks and gold.
Ten ways for guys to wear the Pantone colours for 2016
1. Ditch the dark wash jeans and wear light wash jeans to add your hint of Serenity shade to your outfit.
2. There’s no rule that says men cannot wear pink. So go ahead and wear a pink linen shirt and chinos with confidence to your next trip to the beach.
3. If you are daring enough, opt for an outfit using the Pantone colours by wearing light wash jeans with a tee in shades of Serenity and Rose Quartz, maybe in a tie dye pattern.